[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 2/5] configure: Don't allow user-only targets fo
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 2/5] configure: Don't allow user-only targets for unknown CPU architectures
Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:58:12 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.1.0
Le 14/06/2016 à 11:52, Peter Maydell a écrit :
> For the user-only targets, we need to know something about the host CPU
> architecture even if we are using the TCI interpreter rather than TCG.
> (In particular user-exec.c has code for handling signals that needs
> to know about that host's context structures.)
> Specifically forbid building the user-only targets on unknown CPU
> architectures, rather than allowing them to configure but then fail
> when building user-exec.c.
> This change drops supports for two configurations which were theoretically
> possible before:
> * linux-user targets on M68K hosts using TCI
> * linux-user targets on HPPA hosts using TCI
> We don't think anybody is actually trying to use these in practice, though:
> * interpreted TCG on a slow host CPU would be unusably slow
> * the m68k user-exec.c support is missing is_write detection so guest
> code which writes to the same page it is executing from was broken
> (will include any guest program using signals)
> * HPPA TCG backend support was dropped two and a half years ago
> with no complaints
> Signed-off-by: Peter Maydell <address@hidden>
Reviewed-by: Laurent Vivier <address@hidden>
> configure | 7 +++++++
> 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+)
> diff --git a/configure b/configure
> index 7ab4e0b..62f93e3 100755
> --- a/configure
> +++ b/configure
> @@ -1217,6 +1217,13 @@ esac
> QEMU_CFLAGS="$CPU_CFLAGS $QEMU_CFLAGS"
> EXTRA_CFLAGS="$CPU_CFLAGS $EXTRA_CFLAGS"
> +# For user-mode emulation the host arch has to be one we explicitly
> +# support, even if we're using TCI.
> +if [ "$ARCH" = "unknown" ]; then
> + bsd_user="no"
> + linux_user="no"
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 0/5] linux-user: fix dependencies, forbid unknown host arch, Peter Maydell, 2016/06/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 3/5] user-exec: Delete now-unused hppa and m68k cpu_signal_handler() code, Peter Maydell, 2016/06/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 1/5] configure: Don't override ARCH=unknown if enabling TCI, Peter Maydell, 2016/06/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 2/5] configure: Don't allow user-only targets for unknown CPU architectures, Peter Maydell, 2016/06/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 5/5] linux-user: Create a hostdep.h for each host architecture, Peter Maydell, 2016/06/14
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH 4/5] user-exec: Remove unused code for OSX hosts, Peter Maydell, 2016/06/14