qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 05/23] ppc: Enforce setting MSR:EE, IR

From: Cédric Le Goater
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-ppc] [PULL 05/23] ppc: Enforce setting MSR:EE, IR and DR when MSR:PR is set
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:51:15 +0200

On 07/11/2016 09:04 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> On 10/07/16 23:14, Cédric Le Goater wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> For OS 9, do you plan to commit these openbios patches soon ?
>>
>>      https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-11/msg02824.html
>>
>> as we just gave them a good test. Or may be, include them under
>> a github branch to make them easier to find.
>
> All of the OS 9 patches for QEMU and OpenBIOS have been upstreamed,
> except this one for OpenBIOS:
> https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/openbios/2015-June/008722.html. I
> currently keep a manually build binary at
> https://www.ilande.co.uk/tmp/openbios/openbios-ppc for people who can't
> build their own.
>
>> Also, I found out that some OS 9 isos are not supported by qemu.
>> These are ok :
>>

>> http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7047&sid=0ef8922b24a51d2a9d546300aea69c64&start=250
>>
>> But the one under :
>>
>>      http://c-obrien.org/qemu-os9/testing/
>>
>> does not boot. It loops on some CUDA commands and then hangs.
>> I did not dig further. Is that a known issue ?
>
> Hmmm if that's the same 9.2.1 image we were using for last year's GSoC
> then it has been working fine here? From what I've seen both 9.2.1 and
> 9.2.2 now boot fine, but please test and report if that's not the case.

Hello Mark,

I managed to boot and install a 9.2.1. Here is what I have used for
that :

 * qemu, David's 2.7 branch, plus Ben's patch "v2 ppc: Fix support
   for odd MSR combinations".

 * openbios,  github's HEAD + the patch your patch from :

        https://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/openbios/2015-June/008722.html

 * iso, the os9.osi from

        http://c-obrien.org/qemu-os9/testing/

There are a  couple of qemu errors :

        dbdma_unassigned_rw: use of unassigned channel 14
        dbdma_unassigned_flush: use of unassigned channel 14
        CUDA: unknown command 0x24

and invalids read/write on SPRs but it didn't cause any issue in the guest
at installation time or later at runtime. I did not try network though.

So mainline only misses your forth patch. Looking really good !

Thanks,

C.