qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/13] Live memory snapshot based on userfaultfd

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/13] Live memory snapshot based on userfaultfd
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:43:43 +0100

* Hailiang Zhang (address@hidden) wrote:
> On 2016/7/14 2:02, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * zhanghailiang (address@hidden) wrote:
> > > For now, we still didn't support live memory snapshot, we have discussed
> > > a scheme which based on userfaultfd long time ago.
> > > You can find the discussion by the follow link:
> > > https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-11/msg01779.html
> > >
> > > The scheme is based on userfaultfd's write-protect capability.
> > > The userfaultfd write protection feature is available here:
> > > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mm/msg97422.html
> >
> > I've (finally!) had a brief look through this, I like the idea.
> > I've not bothered with minor cleanup like comments on them;
> > I'm sure those will happen later; some larger scale things to think
> > about are:
> >    a) I wonder if it's really best to put that much code into the postcopy
> >       function; it might be but I can see other userfault uses as well.
>
> Yes, it is better to extract common codes into public functions.
>
> >    b) I worry a bit about the size of the copies you create during setup
> >       and I don't really understand why you can't start sending those pages
>
> Because we save device state and ram in the same snapshot_thread, if the
> process
> of saving device is blocked by writing pages, we can remove the write-protect
> in
> 'postcopy/fault' thread, but can't send it immediately.

Don't you write the devices to a buffer? If so then you perhaps you could split
writing into that buffer into a separate thread.

> >       immediately - but then I worry aobut the relative order of when pages
> >       data should be sent compared to the state of devices view of RAM.
> >    c) Have you considered also using userfault for loading the snapshot - I
> >      know there was someone on #qemu a while ago who was talking about using
> >      it as a way to quickly reload from a migration image.
> >

> I didn't notice such talking before, maybe i missed it.
> Could you please send me the link ?

I don't think there's any public docs about it; this was a conversation
with Christoph Seifert on #qemu about May last year.

> But i do consider the scenario of quickly snapshot restoring.
> And the difficulty here is how can we quickly find the position
> of the special page. That is, while VM is accessing one page, we
> need to find its position in snapshot file and read it into memory.
> Consider the compatibility, we hope we can still re-use all migration
> capabilities.
>
> My rough idea about the scenario is:
> 1. Use an array to recode the beginning position of all VM's pages.
> Use the offset as the index for the array, just like migration bitmaps.
> 2. Save the data of the array into another file in a special format.
> 3. Also record the position of device state data in snapshot file.
> (Or we can put the device state data at the head of snapshot file)
> 4. While restore the snapshot, reload the array first, and then read
> the device state.
> 5. Set all pages to MISS status.
> 6. Resume VM to run
> 7. The next process is like how postcopy incoming does.
>
> I'm not sure if this scenario is practicable or not. We need further
> discussion. :)

Yes;  I can think of a few different ways to do (2):
  a) We could just store it at the end of the snapshot file (and know that
it's at the end - I think the json format description did a similar trick).
  b) We wouldn't need the 4 byte headers on the page we currently send.
  c) Juan's idea of having multiple fd's for migration streams might also fit,
     with the RAM data in the separate file.
  d) But if we know it's a file (not a network stream) then should we treat it
     specially and just use a sparse file of the same size as RAM, and just
     pwrite() the data into the right offset?

Dave