qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Improving QEMU's About dialog

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Improving QEMU's About dialog
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 12:00:38 +0100

On 27 July 2016 at 01:44, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
> Under Mac OS X, QEMU's about dialog is not very helpful.
> It only displays an icon and the name of the binary. I
> think this should be improved. Let me know what you think
> of this idea:
>
>                 <QEMU icon>
>

> <binary name>   Version: <version number>
> Git commit version: ################
> Build date: <MM-DD-YYYY>
>
> Example:
>
>                  <QEMU icon>
>

> qemu-system-ppc   Version: 2.6.90
> Git commit version: 2d2e632ad00d11867c6c5625605b1fbc022dd62f
> Build date: 7-26-2016

You should print the same information that we print for
the '--version' option (including a Copyright note).

Since commit 67a1de0d195a6185 the version string automatically
includes git commit hash information if necessary, so you
don't need to do that. Similarly, don't report build date
(unless you want to consistently make every place we report
version information include a build date).

thanks
-- PMM