qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Making cputlb.c operations safe for MTTCG

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Making cputlb.c operations safe for MTTCG
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 22:55:53 +0530

On 08/02/2016 12:07 PM, Alex Bennée wrote:
This will work but I wonder if it is time to call it a day for 32 on 64
support? I mean all this can be worked around but I wonder if it is
worth the effort if no one actually uses this combination.

I've been meaning to bring up exactly this question during the 2.8 cycle.

Given the changes we want to make with target atomic operations, I think it's a complete waste of time to continue to support 64-on-32.

Indeed, it's half-tempting to drop 32-bit host support entirely. But while i686, arm, and mips hosts continue to function for simple guests, it is perhaps a step too far to drop it all (yet).

I might prepare a patch for the next dev cycle to promote discussion.

Please do.

r~