qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to add support for building in MSYS2 on Windows

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch to add support for building in MSYS2 on Windows
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 21:43:19 +0100

On 24 August 2016 at 20:58, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:
> Maybe you could start with documenting the MSYS2 based build process on
> http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/W32 and refer to a QEMU git clone which includes
> the necessary modifications.
>
> More feedback also from other contributors whether MSYS2 support is wanted
> or not would be helpful.

You could reduce the delta between stock QEMU and one which builds
on MSYS2 by converting some of these "ifdef MSYS2" changes to
instead by "ifdef <some property of the host>". For instance, instead
of guarding a #include of <pty.h> with "#if defined(__GLIBC__) ||
defined(__MSYS__)"
we could guard it with "#ifdef CONFIG_HAVE_PTY_H".

In general I think that per-host-OS-ifdefs are not a great idea, though they
are the easy expedient way to handle things and so we have a fair
number at the moment. Converting a per-host-ifdef setup to a "check for
existence of feature" setup is a cleanup I think we'd be happy to
accept even if we don't want to care about MSYS2 build support.

thanks
-- PMM