[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with v
[Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio
Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:09:37 -0000
When I set -rtc clock=vm the mig problem is solved, but what does this
In the docu there is only
" If you want to isolate the guest time from the host, you can set clock to
To even prevent it from progressing during suspension, you can set it to
what does this means?
Will the VM never be synced with the HW clock and so it will run slower
on cpu load on normal running?
You received this bug notification because you are a member of qemu-
devel-ml, which is subscribed to QEMU.
windows hangs after live migration with virtio
Status in QEMU:
Several of our users reported problems with windows machines hanging
after live migrations. The common denominator _seems_ to be virtio
I've managed to reproduce this reliably on a windows 10 (+
virtio-win-0.1.118) guest, always within 1 to 5 migrations, with a
virtio-scsi hard drive and a virtio-net network device. (When I
replace the virtio-net device with an e1000 it takes 10 or more
migrations, and without virtio devices I have not (yet) been able to
reproduce this problem. I also could not reproduce this with a linux
guest. Also spice seems to improve the situation, but doesn't solve
I've tested quite a few tags from qemu-git (v2.2.0 through v2.6.1,
and 2.6.1 with the patches mentioned on qemu-stable by Peter Lieven)
and the behavior is the same everywhere.
The reproducibility seems to be somewhat dependent on the host
hardware, which makes investigating this issue that much harder.
After the migration the windows graphics stack just hangs.
Background processes are still running (eg. after installing an ssh
server I could still login and get a command prompt after the hang was
triggered... not that I'd know what to do with that on a windows
machine...) - commands which need no GUI access work, the rest just
hangs there on the command line, too.
It's also capable of responding to an NMI sent via the qemu monitor:
it then seems to "recover" and manages to show the blue sad-face
screen that something happened, reboots successfully and is usable
again without restarting the qemu process in between.
From there whole the process can be repeated.
Here's what our command line usually looks like:
/usr/bin/qemu -daemonize \
-mon chardev=qmp,mode=control \
-pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/101.pid \
-smbios type=1,uuid=07fc916e-24c2-4eef-9827-4ab4026501d4 \
-name win10 \
-smp 6,sockets=1,cores=6,maxcpus=6 \
-boot menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000 \
-vga std \
-vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/101.vnc \
-m 2048 \
-device pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f \
-device pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e \
-device piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2 \
-device usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3 \
-iscsi initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:1ba48d46fb8 \
-drive if=none,id=drive-ide0,media=cdrom,aio=threads \
-device ide-cd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0,bootindex=200 \
-device virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 \
-rtc driftfix=slew,base=localtime \
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, 2016/09/05
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, Wry, 2016/09/06
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, WOLI, 2016/09/14
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio,
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, 2016/09/16
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, WOLI, 2016/09/19
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, 2016/09/19
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, Paolo Bonzini, 2016/09/19
- [Qemu-devel] [Bug 1618431] Re: windows hangs after live migration with virtio, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, 2016/09/22