qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 7/8] util/qht: atomically set b->hashes

From: Emilio G. Cota
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 7/8] util/qht: atomically set b->hashes
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 14:06:14 -0400

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 16:51:38 +0100, Alex Bennée wrote:
> ThreadSanitizer detects a possible race between reading/writing the
> hashes. As ordering semantics are already documented for qht we just
> need to ensure a race can't tear the hash value so we can use the
> relaxed atomic_set/read functions.

This was discussed here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-05/msg03658.html

To reiterate: reading torn hash values is fine, since the retry will
happen regardless (and all pointers[] remain valid through the RCU
read-critical section).

Couldn't we just tell tsan to ignore it?

Thanks,

                Emilio