qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] a small issue with VSOCK

From: Claudio Imbrenda
Subject: [Qemu-devel] a small issue with VSOCK
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 19:25:59 +0100

Hello,

I have found a small issue in the current implementation of VSOCK: if
you load both the vhost_vsock module (or if it's compiled in) then the
vmw_vsock_virtio_transport will not load successfully (both when
compiled as a module or compiled in).

The actual error message I get is:

vmw_vsock_virtio_transport: probe of virtio2 failed with error -16

I dug into the code and it seems that vsock_core_init is called twice,
once for the vhost module and once for the virtio-transport module, the
second time returning -EBUSY (-16) since it's already initialized.

This means that if a guest loads the vhost_vsock module, or if it is
compiled in, then the guest can't use virtio-vsock. This also prevents
using vsock in a nested virtualization scenario, where both host and
guest modules could work at the same time.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to fix this, I just wanted to raise
the issue here, so that you are now aware of it, and can maybe fix it in
the future.

best regards,

Claudio Imbrenda