qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Proposal for 2.9 release schedule

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Proposal for 2.9 release schedule
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 19:13:02 +0100

On 3 January 2017 at 16:53, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 03:15:58PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Considering that Easter is on April 16th, we'd probably want to have the
>> release before that date even in case of a slip.
>>
>> On the other hand, the Christmas / New Year break here means that we'll
>> have to make the development time 1-2 week shorter in practice.
>>
>> 2016-02-21     2.9 soft freeze
>> 2016-03-07     hard freeze / rc0
>> 2016-03-28     rc3 (+3 weeks)
>> 2016-04-04     rc4 or release
>> 2016-04-11     release (if rc4)

[these should all have been 2017, heh]

>> One possibility is to make soft freeze happen a few days later.
>> Peter/Stefan, how did the experiment go with the new rules for soft
>> freeze?  Is it worth repeating it for 2.9 and would it make sense to
>> shorten soft freeze given the new rules?
>
> I would shorten the soft freeze by 1 week.

I hadn't noticed that this meant that we had a 1 week softfreeze
period. This completely failed, partly because I didn't think
we'd gone down to just 1 week, partly because I was away at a
conference last week when rc0 was theoretically due, and
partly because of the enormous pile of merges that needed
to be done -- I only finished the merge work on the Saturday.

I plan to tag rc0 tomorrow (the 14th) and push all the other
dates out by a week accordingly.

thanks
-- PMM