qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulation without RWX

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Emulation without RWX
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:44:11 +0100

On 13 June 2017 at 12:54, Antonio Groza <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello, i am trying to emulate x86 on a platform that won't allow me to map
> memory pages as RWX(Apple's iOS) and i was wondering if there was any way
> of running qemu without doing that. I've had a brief look at your
> documentation and it looks like you are transpiling between 2 different
> instruction sets and i don't know how that would be possible without a rwx
> page.

It's certainly possible in theory -- you'd just need to be more
careful than we are currently about mapping the memory RW when
writing or patching code and then R-X when executing. (Now we're
multithreaded this is probably trickier than when we only had
a single thread, though.) But we don't do it currently and it
would require (possibly complicated) code changes to do it.

thanks
-- PMM