qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [dpdk-dev] Will huge page have negative effect on guest

From: Chris Friesen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [dpdk-dev] Will huge page have negative effect on guest vm in qemu enviroment?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 13:35:29 -0600

On 06/21/2017 01:16 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* Sam (address@hidden) wrote:
Thank you~

1. We have a compare test on qemu-kvm enviroment with huge page and without
huge page. Qemu start process is much longer in huge page enviromwnt. And I
write an email titled with '[DPDK-memory] how qemu waste such long time
under dpdk huge page envriment?'. I could resend it later.

2. Then I have another test on qemu-kvm enviroment with huge page and
without huge page, which I didn't start ovs-dpdk and vhostuser port in qemu
start process. And I found Qemu start process is also much longer in huge
page enviroment.

So I think huge page enviroment, which grub2.cfg file is specified in
‘[DPDK-memory]
how qemu waste such long time under dpdk huge page envriment?’, will really
have negative effect on qemu start up process.

That's why we don't like to use ovs-dpdk. Althrough ovs-dpdk is faster, but
the start up process of qemu is much longer then normal ovs, and the reason
is nothing with ovs but huge page. For customers, vm start up time is
important then network speed.

How are you setting up hugepages?  What values are you putting in the
various /proc or cmdline options and how are you specifying them on
QEMU's commandline.

I think one problem is that with hugepages qemu normally allocates them
all at the start;  I think there are cases where that means moving a lot
of memory about, especially if you lock it to particular NUMA nodes.

For what it's worth, we use something like this:

-object memory-backend-file,id=ram-node0,prealloc=yes,mem-path=/mnt/huge-2048kB/libvirt/qemu,share=yes,size=2147483648,host-nodes=0,policy=bind -numa node,nodeid=0,cpus=0-3,memdev=ram-node0

and I haven't noticed it taking particularly long to start up. All our hugepages are reserved at host startup though.

Chris