qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Query on VFIO in Virtual machine

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Query on VFIO in Virtual machine
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 10:59:35 -0600

[cc +qemu-devel, +peterx]

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 22:18:06 +0530
Nitin Saxena <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a PCI device connected as an endpoint to Intel host machine.
> The requirement is to run dpdk like user space data path application
> in VM using PCI PF passthrough (SRIOV disabled). This application
> works fine on host kernel and uses VFIO to get MSIX interrupts from
> PCI device. We are trying to run this existing application in VM using
> PCI passthrough. This application has capability to use
> VFIO_IOMMU_TYPE1 as wells as VFIO_NOIOMMU.
>
> On Intel host machine VT-d has been enabled and using virt-manager PCI
> device PF is assigned to the VM. This makes virt-manager to implicitly
> binds PCI device PF to vfio with vfio_iommu_type1. The VM LINUX kernel
> was booted with intel_iommu=on as boot parameter.
>
> My question: Is it possible that vfio can coexist in host (by
> virt-manager) as well as VM (by application)? If yes, does application
> running inside VM needs to configure VFIO with iommu_type=IOMMU or
> iommu_type=no-iommu.
>
> In VM I tried inserting vfio_iommu_type1.ko kernel module which failed
> with "No such device error". Thats why I am confused whether my
> requirement is legitimate or not. What could be the best solution?

This is really more of a QEMU question.  In order to use
vfio_iommu_type1 in the guest, you need an iommu in the guest.  The
most recent release of QEMU supports this with an emulated VT-d
device.  Therefore if you create a VM with emulated VT-d and a device
assigned through vfio-pci, you can expose it to userspace in the VM with
physical iommu protection.  Without an iommu in the VM, you'd be
limited to no-iommu support for VM userspace, the physical iommu would
only protect the device to the extent of VM memory, no to specific
userspace mappings within the VM.  Thanks,

Alex