qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Modular hardware emulation

From: Tom Cook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Modular hardware emulation
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 17:56:51 +0000

I'm using qemu to emulate a certain fruit-flavoured single-board computer -
which is fantastic for testing changes configuration, by the way.

We have a bit of custom hardware attached to that single-board computer -
essentially an SPI-slave 8-channel ADC with some analog electronics
attached.

I'm trying to get a feel for the level of effort involved in writing an
emulation of this custom hardware that will work with qemu.  I can see two
extremes:  At one end of the scale, there might be a nice Python interface
already in place for writing SPI device emulations and all I need to do is
point a command-line parameter at a suitable script and away it goes.  At
the other end, I need to hack around in the qemu source, understand about
3/4 of it and create a custom build of the whole emulator.

Can someone give me some sort of idea what level of effort is involved, and
perhaps a pointer in the right direction, please?

Regards,
Tom