qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/15] QMP: out-of-band (OOB) execution support

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/15] QMP: out-of-band (OOB) execution support
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 16:19:11 +0100

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 01:15:09PM +0200, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> There should be a limit in the number of requests the thread can
> queue. Before the patch, the limit was enforced by system socket
> buffering I think. Now, should oob commands still be processed even if
> the queue is full? If so, the thread can't be suspended.

I agree.

Memory usage must be bounded.  The number of requests is less important
than the amount of memory consumed by them.

Existing QMP clients that send multiple QMP commands without waiting for
replies need to rethink their strategy because OOB commands cannot be
processed if queued non-OOB commands consume too much memory.

Stefan