qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem Windows Driver

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem Windows Driver
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 10:20:38 -0500

On 10/15/2017 04:32 AM, geoff--- via Qemu-devel wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am writing some code that needs to share a block of ram between a
> Windows guest and Linux host. For this I am using the ivshmem device and
> I have written a very primitive driver for windows that allows a single
> application to request to memory map the pci bar (shared memory) into
> the program's context using DeviceIoControl.

Note that upstream support of ivshmem is rather lackluster.  Very often,
the first question in response to someone saying "I need ivshmem", is
"Why? and can we accomplish the same task using a better device
instead?"  Without knowing the full use case, it's hard to argue that
ivshmem is the right device to fit the use case.

There have been efforts to propose a better specified and better
structured replacement for ivshmem, such as vhost-pci, but I'm not sure
what status those patches are in, or if it would be a better fit for
your needs.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266