qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/11] Disassembler patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/11] Disassembler patches
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:25:45 +0100

On 26 October 2017 at 11:06, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:
> Do we really expect make/configure todo the right thing when going
> backwards in time ?  I've always assumed that if you go back in time
> when you need to do a 'git clean -f -x d' and re-run configure from
> scratch. Certainly in the past various makefile changes in QEMU would
> break, or silently not correctly recompile stuff when going backwards
> in time.

Yes. Occasionally we accidentally break this, as you note, and then
git bisection across that kind of boundary requires a painful build
from clean. But almost always bisection (across small spans of history)
works without having to do that, as do things like "check out this
branch I was working on a month ago and do a build without bothering
to clean first".

In this case you broke my standard workflow for rolling back from
an attempted merge that didn't actually build, which IME is a pretty
rare thing to have go wrong.

thanks
-- PMM