qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/1] Dump patches

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/1] Dump patches
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 16:21:23 +0000

On 19 January 2018 at 16:08, Marc-Andre Lureau <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 4:29 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> A local python expert suggests that "bytes(buffer)" should work.
>>
>> ...and that it ought to work if handed a memoryview too, so do we
>> just want
>>
>>    self.elf.add_vmcoreinfo_note(bytes(vmcoreinfo))
>>

> Yes, I tested on 2.6 and 3.6, it works. I'll send a new patch.

Testing 2.7 as well would probably not be a bad plan. Apparently
this works because:
 * on python 3, bytes(memoryview) and memoryview.to_bytes() are the same
 * gdb gives us a memoryview only if python 3
 * so we don't have to handle the case of getting a memoryview and
   being python 2 (in which case we would need to use memoryview.to_bytes()
   as bytes() would do the wrong thing)

thanks
-- PMM