qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu warnings and errors

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu warnings and errors
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:27:24 -0500

On 02/19/2018 10:24 AM, James Barrett wrote:
> I keep getting these warnings with a message to send email to
> address@hidden
>
> here is the command I am using:
>
> qemu-system-i386 -hda bbs.hd -fda bbs.fd -hdb fat:rw:dist
>

> Host OS is Ubunti 17.10, guest OS is MS-DOS 6.22

What version of QEMU?

> WARNING: Image format was not specified for 'bbs.hd' and probing guessed
> raw.
>          Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images,
> write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
>          Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.
> WARNING: Image format was not specified for 'bbs.fd' and probing guessed
> raw.
>          Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images,
> write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
>          Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.
> vvfat dist chs 1024,16,63
> WARNING: Image format was not specified for 'json:{"fat-type": 0, "dir":
> "dist", "driver": "vvfat", "floppy": false, "rw": true}' and probing
> guessed raw.
>          Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images,
> write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
>          Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.

All of the above is "fine," but occurs because you use the -hda and -fda
shorthands to load raw files.

The more explicit syntax looks like this:

-drive if=none,format=raw,file=bbs.hd,id=foo
-device ide-hd,drive=foo

with that "format=raw" parameter there you'll avoid all those warnings.

> unknown keycodes `(unnamed)', please report to address@hidden

This part is the only part that urges you to report the error, but I
don't know much about what's going on here.

Maybe Gerd knows?

--js