qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8.2

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL] RISC-V QEMU Port Submission v8.2
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:52:12 +0000

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Michael Clark <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 12:18 AM, Michael Clark <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 at 12:10 AM, Michael Clark <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> You must be looking at the wrong tag. There are multiple sign-offs in all
>>> 23 commits. The tag is riscv-qemu-upstream-v8.2. Sagar and Bastian
>>> contacted me out of band to add their sign-offs. Please look at the commits
>>> again and tell me which commit id doesn’t have a sign-off on that tag (23
>>> commits iirc)
>>>

>> I can forward you the mail out-of-band. I had to contact contributors to
>> get them to agree to change the license from MIT to GPLv2, based on a
>> request from Red Hat.
>>
>> You are making this very hard. Do you work for Arm perchance? I really
>> wouldn’t be surprised if our port is being sandbagged by Arm. Apologies for
>> being so direct about this, but things like this happen...
>>
>> I have complied with practically every review request and the sign-offs
>> are there. It’s a bit ridiculous.
>>
>> It would be nice to find someone neutral, unrelated to Arm, to merge our PR
>>

> Some history on the origins of RISC to put things in perspective:
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_RISC
>
> David Patterson worked with Andrew Waterman and Krste Asanovic on the
> design of RISC-V. Sagar did most of the work on the QEMU port and he
> agreeded to sign off on all patches. The SiFive patches only have sign-offs
> from SiFive because SiFive was the sole contributor for its hardware model,
> beside the SiFiveUART which has Stefan’s sign-off.
>
> In any case it seems there is not enough review bandwidth in the QEMU
> project as a whole and the policy to accept contributions is too strict to
> be reasonable, given earnest attempts to comply with *all* review feedback.
> Not impressed.

Please take a break and stop sending emails which are going to offend
the people you need to collaborate with in order to get RISC-V support
merged.

The issues that Peter Maydell raised are completely routine pull
request requirements.  Linux has the same Signed-off-by requirement,
so it's not a QEMU-specific hurdle.

If you want to be the RISC-V maintainer in QEMU then work with Peter
Maydell (qemu.git maintainer).

Stefan