qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecate tilegx ?

From: Xuetao Guan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Deprecate tilegx ?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 20:01:03 +0800 (CST)

> Le 14/03/2018 �� 10:09, Xuetao Guan a 茅crit��:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> Personally, I think it's useful to consider not merely "do we
>>> have anybody actively maintaining this" (after all our x86 frontend
>>> is not exactly very well-loved!) but also "are there users of QEMU
>>> out there using it?" and "is this actually something that exists
>>> in the real world as actual silicon in any quantity?". I think
>>> unicore32 failed on both of those, but tilegx passes the latter
>>> and possibly the former.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> -- PMM
>>>

>> UniCore is a real silicon product, integrated into PKUnity SoC, and sold
>> in a large amount of embedded boxes, such as cloud terminals and set top
>> boxes. Since we provide complete product solutions, few users use QEmu
>> directly to simulate the booting and running of unicore32-linux runtime
>> system.
>> For me, I still maintain unicore32 port, and I really appreciate having
>> unicore32 port in the tree.
>
> We keep unicore32 in the system emulation part, but my latest pull
> request removes it from the linux user emulation part (patch from Peter
> Maydell) as it is broken and disabled for a long time now.
>
> If you want unicore32 in the linux-user emulation part, you must fix it
> and send a patch series to re-introduce it.

For unicore32-linux-user part, that's ok to remove it. We haven't updated
it since abi changed. Thanks Laurent. It should be my work.

> Moreover, in the future, to be able to test it, I'd like to know where
> to find a distro I can install.
>
> Thanks,
> Laurent

After both qemu and linux update to latest version, I'll put a busybox
system on my website for test. Maybe four months later, since my time is
limited recently.

Thanks,
Guan Xuetao