qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] buffer sharing across VMs - xen-zcopy and hyper_dmabuf disc

From: Dongwon Kim
Subject: [Qemu-devel] buffer sharing across VMs - xen-zcopy and hyper_dmabuf discussion
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:30:11 -0700

(changed subject and decoupling from udmabuf thread)

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 08:59:32AM +0300, Oleksandr Andrushchenko wrote:
> On 04/10/2018 08:26 PM, Dongwon Kim wrote:

> >Another thing is danvet was kind of against to the idea of importing existing
> >dmabuf/prime buffer and forward it to the other domain due to synchronization
> >issues. He proposed to make hyper_dmabuf only work as an exporter so that it
> >can have a full control over the buffer. I think we need to talk about this
> >further as well.
> Yes, I saw this. But this limits the use-cases so much.

I agree. Our current approach is a lot more flexible. You can find very
similar feedback in my reply to those review messages. However, I also
understand Daniel's concern as well. I believe we need more dicussion
regarding this matter.

> For instance, running Android as a Guest (which uses ION to allocate
> buffers) means that finally HW composer will import dma-buf into
> the DRM driver. Then, in case of xen-front for example, it needs to be
> shared with the backend (Host side). Of course, we can change user-space
> to make xen-front allocate the buffers (make it exporter), but what we try
> to avoid is to change user-space which in normal world would have remain
> unchanged otherwise.
> So, I do think we have to support this use-case and just have to understand
> the complexity.
>

> >danvet, can you comment on this topic?

> >>Well, this is true. And at the same time this is just a matter
> >>of extending the API: xen-zcopy is a helper driver designed for
> >>xen-front/back use-case, so this is why it only has DRM PRIME API
> >>This is true. Again, this is because of the use-cases it covers.
> >>But having synchronization for a generic solution seems to be a good idea.
> >Yeah, understood xen-zcopy works ok with your use case. But I am just curious
> >if it is ok not to have any inter-domain synchronization in this sharing
> >model.
> The synchronization is done with displif protocol [1]
> >The buffer being shared is technically dma-buf and originator needs to be
> >able
> >to keep track of it.
> As I am working in DRM terms the tracking is done by the DRM core
> for me for free. (This might be one of the reasons Daniel sees DRM
> based implementation fit very good from code-reuse POV).

yeah but once you have a DRM object (whether it's dmabuf or not) on a remote
domain, it is totally new object and out of sync (correct me if I am wrong)
with original DRM prime, isn't it? How could these two different but based on
same pages be synchronized?

> >>To be precise, grant ref is 4 bytes
> >You are right. Thanks for correction.;)

> >>The reason for that is that xen-zcopy is a helper driver, e.g.
> >>the grant references come from the display backend [1], which implements
> >>Xen display protocol [2]. So, effectively the backend extracts references
> >>from frontend's requests and passes those to xen-zcopy as an array
> >>of refs.
> >>In the protocol [2] only one reference to the gref directory is passed
> >>between VMs
> >>(and the gref directory is a single-linked list of shared pages containing
> >>all
> >>of the grefs of the buffer).
> >ok, good to know. I will look into its implementation in more details but is
> >this gref directory (chained grefs) something that can be used for any
> >general
> >memory sharing use case or is it jsut for xen-display (in current code base)?
> Not to mislead you: one grant ref is passed via displif protocol,
> but the page it's referencing contains the rest of the grant refs.

I checked displif.h. I like the concept of chaining 2nd level grefs.
As you should have already realized, our multi-level addressing is almost
identical to gref directory except that we defined another level on top to
address multiple 2nd level grefs instead of creating a linked list. And I
see there would be an advantage in terms of memory saving in your method.

Now I think why it should be remaining as one of displif features. I think
we could expand this to any type of large buffer sharing use-case in Xen
(possibly as an extension to grant-table driver?)

> [...]
> sndif and displif Xen protocols, but defined twice as strictly speaking
> sndif and displif are two separate protocols.
>
> While reviewing your RFC v2 one of the comments I had [2] was that if we
> can start from defining such a generic protocol for hyper-dmabuf.
> It can be a header file, which not only has the description part
> (which then become a part of Documentation/...rst file), but also defines
> all the required constants for requests, responses, defines message formats,
> state diagrams etc. all at one place. Of course this protocol must not be
> Xen specific, but be OS/hypervisor agnostic.
> Having that will trigger a new round of discussion, so we have it all
> designed
> and discussed before we start implementing.
>
> Besides the protocol we have to design UAPI part as well and make sure
> the hyper-dmabuf is not only accessible from user-space, but there will be
> number
> of kernel-space users as well.

> >>This is true, xen-zcopy has no means for inter VM sync and meta-data,
> >>simply because it doesn't have any code for inter VM exchange in it,
> >>e.g. the inter VM protocol is handled by the backend [1].

> >>Again, xen-zcopy is decoupled from inter VM communication

> >>Thank you, I'll have a look

> >>If you think of xen-zcopy as a library (which implements Xen
> >>grant references mangling) and DRM PRIME wrapper on top of that
> >>library, we can probably define proper API for that library,
> >>so both xen-zcopy and hyper-dmabuf can use it. What is more, I am
> >>about to start upstreaming Xen para-virtualized sound device driver soon,
> >>which also uses similar code and gref passing mechanism [3].
> >>(Actually, I was about to upstream drm/xen-front, drm/xen-zcopy and
> >>snd/xen-front and then propose a Xen helper library for sharing big buffers,
> >>so common code of the above drivers can use the same code w/o code
> >>duplication)
> >I think it is possible to use your functions for memory sharing part in
> >hyper_dmabuf's backend (this 'backend' means the layer that does page sharing
> >and inter-vm communication with xen-specific way.), so why don't we work on
> >"Xen helper library for sharing big buffers" first while we continue our
> >discussion on the common API layer that can cover any dmabuf sharing cases.
> >
> Well, I would love we reuse the code that I have, but I also
> understand that it was limited by my use-cases. So, I do not
> insist we have to ;)
> If we start designing and discussing hyper-dmabuf protocol we of course
> can work on this helper library in parallel.
> >>Thank you,
> >>Oleksandr
> >>
> >>P.S. All, is it a good idea to move this out of udmabuf thread into a
> >>dedicated one?
> >Either way is fine with me.
> So, if you can start designing the protocol we may have a dedicated mail
> thread for that. I will try to help with the protocol as much as I can
Sure thanks. We can talk about it. just FYI, I have prepared a application
note that contains definition of hyper_dmabuf messages included in RFC v2
patch. That would be a great starting point. It will be great if you can
review it.