qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Restoring bitmaps after failed/cancelled migration

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Restoring bitmaps after failed/cancelled migration
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 14:47:55 +0200

Am 14.05.2018 um 12:09 hat Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy geschrieben:
> 14.05.2018 09:41, Fam Zheng wrote:
> > On Wed, 04/18 17:00, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
> > > Is it possible, that target will change the disk, and then we return
> > > control
> > > to the source? In this case bitmaps will be invalid. So, should not we
> > > drop
> > > all the bitmaps on inactivate?
> > Yes, dropping all live bitmaps upon inactivate sounds reasonable. If the dst
> > fails to start, and we want to resume VM at src, we could (optionally?)
> > reload
> > the persistent bitmaps, I guess.
>
> Reload from where? We didn't store them.

Maybe this just means that it turns out that not storing them was a bad
idea?

What was the motivation for not storing the bitmap? The additional
downtime? Is it really that bad, though? Bitmaps should be fairly small
for the usual image sizes and writing them out should be quick.

Kevin