qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Not able to install QNX into a VM

From: info
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Not able to install QNX into a VM
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 13:19:20 -0400

Hi all,

I tried to create a VM for QNX in a Virtualbox first. It installed successfully, but then could not boot from the virtual HDD. I googled, and found a couple of posts about how at some point VB and QEMU both implemented the busmaster bit for storage controllers and that broke QNX and some other OSs, but then VB team refused to address that, while QEMU team created a patch which is in the latest QEMU.

So I installed QEMU (the latest as of this moment) into a Fedora 26 host and created a new VM. I set CDROM to be the device 0 on IDE and HDD to be the device 1. Then I booted into this VM and hit F2 to advance into the "Auto-detecting Hardware..." screen of the QNX installer.

Unlike Virtualbox, the QEMU VM takes quite some time to detect the devices, and especially long to detect cd0.0. Once detection completes, I see not one CD device, but two:

Then if I press F2, QNX installer asks to insert the installation CD into the drive.

This does not occur under Virtualbox. It only shows one CD device.

and once I hit F2 it advances to the next screen w/o a prompt to insert the CDROM

What is missing in QEMU VM that it does not see the CD which it just booted the OS installer from?

Thank you

Alex