qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Preconfig state reachable without --preconfig given

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Preconfig state reachable without --preconfig given
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 22:24:33 +0200

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 16:04:33 +0200
Max Reitz <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2018-06-02 12:46, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> > On 06/01/2018 03:28 PM, Max Reitz wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The @preconfig RunState documentation states:

> >> However, this is not true:
> >>
> >> $ echo | x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -monitor stdio
> >> QEMU 2.12.50 monitor - type 'help' for more information
> >> (qemu)
> >> HMP not available in preconfig state, use QMP instead
> >
> > Not sure if this is the same bug, but I've noticed libvirt having
> > troubles detecting capabilities of qemu and debugging lead to this patch:
> >
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-06/msg00367.html
> >
> > (which by no means I claim is proper solution. It might be viewed as
> > workaround by expert qemu devels)
>
> I haven't investigated further, but that patch breaks iotest 091 (which
> tests migration).  It just stops now after the migration has started, so
> it never completes.
>
> Actually, it seems to break all migration iotests (but 203, which
> migrates to /dev/null), so I suspect it breaks migration as a whole.
Manual migration to file and restore from it, was tested manually and
worked fine, migration-test  from 'make check' is ok as well.
It's probably due broken to "echo foo | $QEMU"

There is another issue with -nodefaults option leading to indefinite
timeout even if --preconfig wasn't used. I've just posted fix for that
so that it won't be masked out by Michal/Daniel's fix.
But I've run iotests  and -nodefaults fix doesn't affect outcome of the
tests (the same 4 failures).