qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 14:50:10 +0100

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 03:45:10PM +0200, Michal Suchánek wrote:

> I think that *if* we want an 'appliance' format that stores a whole VM
> in a single file to ease VM distribution then the logical place to look
> in qemu is qcow. The reason have been explained at length.

I rather disagree. This is a common problem beyond just QEMU and everyone
just uses an existing archive format (TAR, ZIP) for bundling together
one or more disk images, metdata for config, and whatever other resources
are applicable for the vendor.  This works with any disk format (raw,
qcow2, vmdk, vpc, etc) so is preferrable to inventing someting that is
specific to qcow2 IMHO.

Regards,
Daniel