qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 1/1] virtio-crypto: Allow disabling of cipher a

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 1/1] virtio-crypto: Allow disabling of cipher algorithms for virtio-crypto device
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 16:10:48 +0100

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:50:40AM -0400, Farhan Ali wrote:

> [...]
> > > implementation of the algorithm or not. The virtio-crypto driver does this
> > > without having information about the (comparative or absolute) performance
> > > of it's implementation (which depends on the backend among others). I
> > > don't think
> > > any dynamic re-prioritization of the algorithms takes place (e.g. based
> > > on how these
> > > perform in for the given configuration).
> > >
> > > I think the strategy of the virtio-crypto is to rather overstate, than
> > > understate the performance of it's implementation. If we were to 'be
> > > conservative' and say, 'hey we don't know nothing about the performance,
> > > let's make it lowest priority implementation' the implementations provided
> > > by virtio-crypto would end up being used only if there is no other
> > > implementation. And that does not sound like a good idea either.
> >

> > This problem you describe, however, is something that applies to *any*
> > kerenl code that is registering a crypto algo impl for accelerator
> > hardware. A non-virtualized crypto cards in bare metal likewise cannot
> > assume that its AES impl is better then the host CPU's  aes-ni instruction.
> >
> > > So the idea is to give the user the power to effectively not provide
> > > an algorithm via virtio-crypto. That is, if the user observes a
> > > performance
> > > degradation because of virtio-crypto, he can turn off the bad algorithms
> > > at the device. That way overstatement becomes a much smaller problem.
> > > The user can turn off the bad algorithms for reasons other than
> > > performance
> > > too.
> > >
> > > Of course there are other ways to deal with the problem of virtio-crypto
> > > driver not knowing how good it's implementation of a given algo is. We
> > > could make the in kernel crypto priorities dynamically adjustable in
> > > general
> > > or we could provide the user with means to specify the priorities (e.g.
> > > as module parameter) with which the virtio-crypto driver registers each
> > > algo.
> > > Both of these would be knobs in the guest. It's hard to tell if these
> > > first
> > > one would be useful in scenarios not involving virtualization. Same goes
> > > for some kind of dynamic priority management for crypto algorithm
> > > implementations
> > > in the Linux kernel. I assume the people involved with the respective
> > > subsystem do not see the necessity for something like that.
> >
> > It still feels like this is a problem for the guest OS to solve. If you
> > put a physical crypto accelerator in a bare metal machine, that has the
> > same problem you describe here, so the kernel surely already needs to find
> > a viable solution for this problem.
> >

> How would the guest OS know which algo is better? As you mentioned it does
> depend on few factors and the best the kernel can do is use some sort of
> heuristics. Such a solution might not be very dynamic and might not work for

Which is better will likely depend on the application using it. One might
be better for use by the kernel, while another is better for use by a
userspace application, or two userspace apps might have different preferences.

> Shouldn't we use virtualization to give us the flexibility that we don't
> have with physical crypto accelerator? The crypto accelerator might not know
> if it's implementation is any better, but the user can experiment and see
> what works better.

It is better to provide it all to the guest and let the guest decide which
is best to use.  If nothing else the virtio-crypto kernel module itself
can have module parameters to control the priority it gives to each
algorithm, or can avoid registering certain algorithms.  Doing it guest
side is more flexible, because realistically many virt host deployments
will never give the guest admin ability to control this from the host
side, so a guest kernel config ability will be the only thing available.

Regards,
Daniel