[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 1/4] hw/display: add ramfb, a simple boot fra
Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 1/4] hw/display: add ramfb, a simple boot framebuffer living in guest ram
Fri, 15 Jun 2018 18:45:59 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.7.0
On 06/13/18 14:29, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> The boot framebuffer is expected to be configured by the firmware, so it
> uses fw_cfg as interface. Initialization goes as follows:
> (1) Check whenever etc/ramfb is present.
> (2) Allocate framebuffer from RAM.
> (3) Fill struct RAMFBCfg, write it to etc/ramfb.
> Done. You can write stuff to the framebuffer now, and it should appear
> automagically on the screen.
> Note that this isn't very efficient because it does a full display
> update on each refresh. No dirty tracking. Dirty tracking would have
> to be active for the whole ram slot, so that wouldn't be very efficient
> either. For a boot display which is active for a short time only this
> isn't a big deal. As permanent guest display something better should be
> used (if possible).
> This is the ramfb core code. Some windup is needed for display devices
> which want have a ramfb boot display.
> Signed-off-by: Gerd Hoffmann <address@hidden>
> include/hw/display/ramfb.h | 9 +++++
> hw/display/ramfb.c | 95
> hw/display/Makefile.objs | 2 +
> 3 files changed, 106 insertions(+)
> create mode 100644 include/hw/display/ramfb.h
> create mode 100644 hw/display/ramfb.c
I tested this on KVM, built from Gerd's sirius/ramfb branch @ 778450b87275.
Works fine with Gerd's corresponding edk2 QemuRamfbDxe driver (already merged):
[edk2] [PATCH v3 0/4] Add QemuRamfbDxe driver
It also works fine with Ard's efifb patches:
[PATCH 0/2] efi: add support for cacheable efifb mappings
So, for this patch (not the series):
Tested-by: Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden>
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 0/4] ramfb: simple boot framebuffer, Gerd Hoffmann, 2018/06/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 3/4] hw/vfio/display: add ramfb support, Gerd Hoffmann, 2018/06/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 4/4] Add ramfb MAINTAINERS entry, Gerd Hoffmann, 2018/06/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 2/4] hw/display: add standalone ramfb device, Gerd Hoffmann, 2018/06/13
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 1/4] hw/display: add ramfb, a simple boot framebuffer living in guest ram, Gerd Hoffmann, 2018/06/13
- Re: [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v5 1/4] hw/display: add ramfb, a simple boot framebuffer living in guest ram,
Laszlo Ersek <=