qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] about live memory snapshot

From: Peter Xu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] about live memory snapshot
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 18:53:25 +0800

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 01:45:29AM +0000, Gonglei (Arei) wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> As we discussed in LC3 China, the current scheme of "migration to file"
> can't fit on production environment, which will cause the snapshot file
> bigger
> and bigger when the guest is under enough memory pressure. We can't
> assume what size the snapshot file is.
>
> Pls have a look if we have a simple method to resolve the problem. :)

Yeah, it seems that the requirement of this live snapshot feature is
there for a long time but we haven't yet figured out a good way to
solve it.

> PS: the below link is zhanghailiang's scheme based on userfaultfd.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2016-01/msg00664.html

Thanks for the pointer!

Just to mention that there is another ongoing work from Denis that
implemented similar feature but with mprotect() and a new
(to-be-proposed?) kvm interface:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-06/msg08684.html

Hopefully we can figure something out soon on the list.

Regards,

--
Peter Xu