qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: How to integrate simple tests for a new platf

From: Richard Henderson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question: How to integrate simple tests for a new platform so that they fit in well within QEMU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:39:06 -0700

On 08/07/2018 05:34 AM, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:
> We are introducing a new MIPS platform - called nanoMIPS - to the QEMU.
>
> Besides providing new functionality, we would like to integrate into QEMU
> some basic testing capabilities for that new platform. Something like this:
>
> Enable user to specify cross compiler and, using QEMU Linux user mode:
> a. execute several tests that are just almost minimal tests of emulation of
> selected instructions.
> b. execute several tests that are just almost minimal tests of translation
> of selected system calls.
QEMU has some infrastructure for this now.
I'm not clear on all of the pieces, but Alex will be able to help you.

In configure, there is a section setting cross_cc_foo and cross_cc_cflags_foo;
there is another section that tests target_compiler and target_compiler_cflags
from that.  At minimum you'll need to add a new section that sets
target_compiler etc for nanomips.

In tests/tcg/mips/Makefile.include, one can set up a docker cross-compile
definition.  This is correlated to files in tests/docker/dockerfiles/.

I don't know much about docker, but I know it should be possible to build and
distribute a cross-compiler, for a base system such as debian 9, that other
folk can pull and use.  For a brand new target like nanomips, requiring a brand
new tool chain, this is certainly something that you will have to do yourself.
But having that available for CI should pay dividends.

r~