[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH 2/2] hw/ppc: deprecate the machine type 'prep', repl
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH 2/2] hw/ppc: deprecate the machine type 'prep', replaced by '40p'
Thu, 9 Aug 2018 22:40:10 +0200
- prep machine is a fictional machine, so has no specifications. Which
devices can be changed/added/removed without impact? Are interrupts
- prep firmware (OHW) has support only for IDE drives (no SCSI).
Booting from IDE has been broken approximatively 3 years ago, and nobody
- OHW is limited on IDE boot to a specific set of OS loaders.
These operating systems are of the 2004 time frame.
- OHW can use -kernel. Linux kernel freezes a long time after PS/2 mouse
detection, and then screen becomes garbage. This was already broken in
QEMU v2.7, 2 years ago, and nobody complained.
On the other side:
- 40p is a real machine, so emulation can be checked against
- OpenBIOS has support for SCSI block devices, including 40p LSI adapter
- OpenBIOS can start mostly all Linux kernels (including recent ones)
and recent operating system (like NetBSD 7.1.2)
Signed-off-by: Hervé Poussineau <address@hidden>
hw/ppc/prep.c | 1 +
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
diff --git a/hw/ppc/prep.c b/hw/ppc/prep.c
index 1558855247..fbcaebabc0 100644
@@ -676,6 +676,7 @@ static void ppc_prep_init(MachineState *machine)
static void prep_machine_init(MachineClass *mc)
+ mc->deprecation_reason = "use 40p machine type instead";
mc->desc = "PowerPC PREP platform";
mc->init = ppc_prep_init;
mc->block_default_type = IF_IDE;