qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU on Solaris

From: Michele Denber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU on Solaris
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 15:13:28 -0400

On 08-13-2018 4:34 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
Copying Peter, as he would need access to a Solaris host to do GIT pre-merge
build testing.

Then there's the question of what ordinary developers would use for their own
testing if they needed to work on some portability issue. We've got support
in tree for running builds against VM images for the various *BSDs, and have
mingw cross build toolchain for Windows. Is it possible to provide free-to-use
VM disk images for Solaris build testing, or are software licensing requirements
going to get in the way of developers using them ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume you're referring to the use of the Solaris OS itself. Solaris 10 and 11 are both available for free download from Oracle. I read the license agreement (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/solaris-cluster-express-license-167852.html) and while I'm not a lawyer and do not even play one on the Internet, the relevant part seems to be:

*"LICENSE RIGHTS *
Except for any included software package or file that is licensed to you by Oracle under different license terms, we grant you a perpetual (unless terminated as provided in this agreement), nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited License to use the Programs only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating your applications, and not for any other purpose. If You are an educational institution vested with the power to confer official high school, associate, bachelor, master and/or doctorate degrees, or local equivalent, (“Degree(s)”), You may also use the Programs as part of Your educational curriculum for students enrolled in Your Degree program(s) solely as required for the conferral of such Degree (collectively “Educational Use”)."

I /think /that means it's OK to use it.  ???

There is OpenIndiana that forked off OpenSolaris, but I'm unclear how far
OpenIndiana and commercial Solaris have diverged since then ?
One problem with OpenIndiana is that it's not available for SPARC. However, they refer to Dilos, OpenSXCE and Tribblix, though I know nothing of any of those.

            - Michele