[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v5 0/3] vfio/sysbus-fdt: Prepare for Generic DT
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v5 0/3] vfio/sysbus-fdt: Prepare for Generic DT Pass-Through
Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:54:51 +0200
This patch series prepares for exporting generic devices in DT using
vfio-platform, providing direct access from a QEMU+KVM guest to the
- Patches 1-2 (submitted before by Eric Auger) make the vfio-platform
device non-abstract, incl. matching using a compatible string.
- Patch 3 allows dynamic vfio-platform devices again, without needing to
create device-specific vfio types for each and every new device.
This will avoid having to write device-specific instantation methods for
each and every "simple" device using only a set of generic properties.
Devices that need more specialized handling will still be able provide
their own instantation methods.
Note that this series no longer contains "[PATCH 4/4] hw/arm/sysbus-fdt:
Add support for instantiating generic devices", following advice from Eric
Auger, as that patch needs more safeguards. Hence this series now contains
only preparative work.
Changes compared to v4 ("vfio/sysbus-fdt: Prepare for Generic DT Pass-Through",
- Add Reviewed-by, Tested-by,
- Fix path leak on error,
- Drop reference to commit 6f2062b9758ebc64 ("hw/arm/virt: Allow only
supported dynamic sysbus devices").
Changes compared to v3 ("hw/arm/sysbus-fdt: Generic DT Pass-Through"),
- Propagate g_file_get_contents() errors through errp,
- Add Tested-by (with amd-xgbe),
- s/From now on/Soon/ in patch description,
- s/sysbus/vfio-platform/ in patch description,
- Postpone "[PATCH 4/4] hw/arm/sysbus-fdt: Add support for instantiating
Changes compared to v2 (not submitted to the mailing list):
- Use the compatible values from sysfs instead of user-supplied
manufacturer and model options,
- Replace "hw/arm/sysbus-fdt: Enable rcar-gen3-gpio dynamic
instatiation" by generic "hw/arm/sysbus-fdt: Add support for
instantiating generic devices",
- Reword patch descriptions,
- Drop RFC state,
- Drop "vfio: No-IOMMU mode support".
Changes compared to v1 ("R-Car Gen3 GPIO Pass-Through Prototype (QEMU)",
- Restrict dynamic sysbus devices to TYPE_VFIO_PLATFORM, as suggested
by Eric Auger.
This (plus the postponed "hw/arm/sysbus-fdt: Add support for instantiating
generic devices") has been tested on a Renesas Salvator-XS board with R-Car
H3 ES2.0 with SATA:
and GPIO (needs VFIO No-IOMMU support):
Thanks for applying!
Auger Eric (2):
vfio/platform: Make the vfio-platform device non-abstract
hw/arm/sysbus-fdt: Allow device matching with DT compatible value
Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
hw/arm/virt: Allow dynamic vfio-platform devices again
hw/arm/sysbus-fdt.c | 61 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
hw/arm/virt.c | 1 +
hw/vfio/amd-xgbe.c | 1 +
hw/vfio/calxeda-xgmac.c | 1 +
hw/vfio/platform.c | 25 +++++++++++++-
include/hw/vfio/vfio-platform.h | 3 +-
6 files changed, 76 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- address@hidden
In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
-- Linus Torvalds
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH qemu v5 0/3] vfio/sysbus-fdt: Prepare for Generic DT Pass-Through,
Geert Uytterhoeven <=