qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] No more chameleon devices

From: Marcel Apfelbaum
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] No more chameleon devices
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 18:39:54 +0300

On 10/18/18 5:48 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 18 October 2018 at 15:45, Marcel Apfelbaum
<address@hidden> wrote:
PCIe machines support PCI devices while PCI machines do not support
PCIe devices.

I think users of the PCI machines would benefit from having a clear list of
supported devices, rather than have to find out if their device
  1. Is a hybrid device - QEMU will 'make' it PCI/PCIe
  2. Is a PCIe device - would not work on a PCI machine
  3. Is a PCI device - all good
Ah, I see. So, today, of all the devices labelled as "pci" which
QEMU has, how many of them are in which of those categories?
(I guess I'm mostly interested in whether what we have is
mostly really-PCI devices with one or two PCIe devices, or
if we're currently (mis-)modelling some PCIe devices as hybrid.)

Eduardo added 'marker' interfaces to all PCI/PCIe devices
making it easier to answer the question.

A 'hybrid' devices implements both:
   * INTERFACE_CONVENTIONAL_PCI_DEVICE
   * INTERFACE_PCIE_DEVICE
interfaces, please see the complete list:
    https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/vgOo7n7PKi3Wxij~5dZxQQ

The list is not complete as we cannot see devices of derived classes,
like virtio-*-pci, but is good enough.

Thanks,
Marcel

thanks