qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Are FreeBSD guest images working?

From: Peter Xu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Are FreeBSD guest images working?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 13:01:34 +0800

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 08:24:23PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:54 PM Peter Xu <address@hidden> wrote:

> > syms=[0x8+0x159ee8+0x8

> > https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/VM-IMAGES/11.2-RELEASE/amd64/Latest/FreeBSD-11.2-RELEASE-amd64.qcow2.xz

> > > I use 'make vm-build-freebsd' which works, but the image comes
> > > pre-installed.
> >
> > It's because I'm always with no-gui mode and FreeBSD images has no
> > serial enabled by default.  I was possibly spoiled by the nice
> > virt-builder before with consoles setup already for all Linux guest
> > images.  Thanks for answering!
> >

> I'm coming to the game late...
>
> I run FreeBSD in qemu all the time, but I build images from source to test
> the boot loader and it's all serial and my test scripts are tuned to that.
> I rarely use the pre-built images, however.
>
> If there's ways that we can build images that work better than we're doing
> right now to make the experience better, like making sure we enable the
> dual console support for them... We're late in our release cycle, but if
> what we need to change is what I think we need to change, we still have
> time for it.
>
> In the mean time I'll read through wiki and see if there's anything
> obviously wrong...

I would guess there aren't many people like me to prefer booting a VM
using console, though I agree that it'll be nice if we put something
into the prebuilt images like what's suggested by Ilya (and so far I
don't see anything bad with that):

        address@hidden ~]# cat /boot/loader.conf
        boot_multicons="YES"
        boot_serial="YES"
        comconsole_speed="115200"
        console="comconsole,vidconsole"

Anyway, thanks for your work on either the wiki or the images, they
are really helpful to people like me.

Regards,

--
Peter Xu