qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] Change in qemu 2.12 causes qemu-img conver

From: Nir Soffer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-block] Change in qemu 2.12 causes qemu-img convert to NBD to write more data
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 22:59:26 +0200

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 5:26 PM Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 15.11.2018 um 23:27 hat Nir Soffer geschrieben:

> that

> uniq

> write

> zeroing

> performance,

> case,

> operation
> appears

> in it

> which

> manual
> > >>

> > > We eliminated this using blkdiscard. This is what we get on with this
> > > storage
> > > zeroing 100G LV:
> > >
> > > for i in 1 2 4 8 16 32; do time blkdiscard -z -p ${i}m
> > >
> /dev/6e1d84f9-f939-46e9-b108-0427a08c280c/2d5c06ce-6536-4b3c-a7b6-13c6d8e55ade;
> > > done
> > >
> > > real 4m50.851s
> > > user 0m0.065s
> > > sys 0m1.482s
> > >
> > > real 4m30.504s
> > > user 0m0.047s
> > > sys 0m0.870s
> > >
> > > real 4m19.443s
> > > user 0m0.029s
> > > sys 0m0.508s
> > >
> > > real 4m13.016s
> > > user 0m0.020s
> > > sys 0m0.284s
> > >
> > > real 2m45.888s
> > > user 0m0.011s
> > > sys 0m0.162s
> > >
> > > real 2m10.153s
> > > user 0m0.003s
> > > sys 0m0.100s
> > >
> > > We are investigating why we get low throughput on this server, and also
> > > will check
> > > several other servers.
> > >
> > > Having a command line option to control this behavior sounds good. I
> don't
> safe
> > >>

> > > We file this bug:
> > > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1648622
> > >

> > More data from even slower storage - zeroing 10G lv on Kaminario K2
> >
> > # time blkdiscard -z -p 32m /dev/test_vg/test_lv2
> >
> > real    50m12.425s
> > user    0m0.018s
> > sys     2m6.785s
> >
> > Maybe something is wrong with this storage, since we see this:
> >
> > # grep -s "" /sys/block/dm-29/queue/* | grep write_same_max_bytes
> > /sys/block/dm-29/queue/write_same_max_bytes:512
> >
> > Since BLKZEROOUT always fallback to manual slow zeroing silently,
> > maybe we can disable the aggressive pre-zero of the entire device
> > for block devices, and keep this optimization for files when fallocate()
> > is supported?
>
> I'm not sure what the detour through NBD changes, but qemu-img directly
> on a block device doesn't use BLKZEROOUT first, but
> FALLOC_FL_PUNCH_HOLE.

Looking at block/file-posix.c (83c496599cc04926ecbc3e47a37debaa3e38b686)
we don't use PUNCH_HOLE for block devices:

1472     if (aiocb->aio_type & QEMU_AIO_BLKDEV) {
1473         return handle_aiocb_write_zeroes_block(aiocb);
1474     }

qemu uses BLKZEROOUT, which is not guaranteed to be fast on storage side,
and even worse fallback silently to manual zero if storage does not support
WRITE_SAME.

Maybe we can add a flag that avoids anything that
> could be slow, such as BLKZEROOUT, as a fallback (and also the slow
> emulation that QEMU itself would do if all kernel calls fail).

But the issue here is not how qemu-img handles this case, but how NBD
server can handle it. NBD may support zeroing, but there is no way to tell
if zeroing is going to be fast, since the backend writing zeros to storage
has the same limits of qemu-img.

So I think we need to fix the performance regression in 2.12 by enabling
pre-zero of entire disk only if FALLOCATE_FL_PUNCH_HOLE can be used
and only if it can be used without a fallback to slow zero method.

Enabling this optimization for anything else requires changing the entire
stack (storage, kernel, NBD protocol) to support reporting fast zero
capability
or limit zero to fast operations.

Nir