qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Logging dirty pages from vhost-net in-kernel with vIOMM

From: Jintack Lim
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Logging dirty pages from vhost-net in-kernel with vIOMMU
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 07:11:28 -0500

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:33 AM Jason Wang <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2018/12/5 下午10:47, Jintack Lim wrote:

> >> Good catch. It looks like a bug to me. Want to post a patch for this?
> > Thanks for the confirmation.
> >
> > What would be a good setup to catch this kind of migration bug? I
> > tried to observe it in the VM expecting to see network applications
> > not getting data correctly on the destination, but it was not
> > successful (i.e. the VM on the destination just worked fine.) I didn't
> > even see anything going wrong when I disabled the vhost logging
> > completely without using vIOMMU.
> >
> > What I did is I ran multiple network benchmarks (e.g. netperf tcp
> > stream and my own one to check correctness of received data) in a VM
> > without vhost dirty page logging, and the benchmarks just ran fine in
> > the destination. I checked the used ring at the time the VM is stopped
> > in the source for migration, and it had multiple descriptors that is
> > (probably) not processed in the VM yet. Do you have any insight how it
> > could just work and what would be a good setup to catch this?
>

> According to past experience, it could be reproduced by doing scp from
> host to guest during migration.

Thanks. I actually tried that, but didn't see any problem either - I
copied a large file during migration from host to guest (the copy
continued on the destination), and checked md5 hashes using md5sum,
but the copied file had the same checksum as the one in the host.

Do you recall what kind of symptom you observed when the dirty pages
were not migrated correctly with scp?