qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting Raspbian on RPi emulation

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Booting Raspbian on RPi emulation
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 23:34:10 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018, Ben Hekster via Qemu-devel wrote:
I had the exact same issue; for me it was just the addition of Günther's
"rootwait" option that resolved it, so:

$ qemu-system-arm \
        -m 256m \
        -M raspi2 \
        -cpu cortex-a7 \
        -append "console=ttyAMA0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait rw" \
        -dtb bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb \
        -drive file=2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.img,if=sd,format=raw \
        -kernel kernel7.img \
        -nographic

Did it for me using stock QEMU 3.1.0.  (I need "-nographic" because the OS X
port crashes without it)

Indeed. Thanks. It also boots with the raspbian kernel7.img after adding this option, so likely the cause of this was that mmc wasn't detected fast enough and without rootwait it tried to mount it without waiting before it was available.

It does not crash on OS X for me even without -nographic but I'm not yet on Mojave. I've read there may be problems on latest macOS and seen patches to fix that. Here's the discussion:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1802684

Launchpad seems to have eaten the RFC patch URL in the last comment but I think it's this one:

http://patchew.org/QEMU/address@hidden/

Maybe you can test and report back if this fixes your problem so it can be merged if it helps.

Thank you,
BALATON Zoltan