[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 00/23] Add support for RDMA MAD
[Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 00/23] Add support for RDMA MAD
Fri, 21 Dec 2018 16:40:14 +0200
This is a major enhancement to the pvrdma device to allow it to work with
state of the art applications such as MPI.
As described in patch #5, MAD packets are management packets that are used
for many purposes including but not limited to communication layer above IB
Patch 1 exposes new external executable (under contrib) that aims to
address a specific limitation in the RDMA usrespace MAD stack.
This patch-set mainly present MAD enhancement but during the work on it i
came across some bugs and enhancement needed to be implemented before doing
any MAD coding. This is the role of patches 2 to 4, 7 to 9 and 15 to 17.
Patches 6 and 18 are cosmetic changes while not relevant to this patchset
still introduce with it since (at least for 6) hard to decouple.
Patches 12 to 15 couple pvrdma device with vmxnet3 device as this is the
configuration enforced by pvrdma driver in guest - a vmxnet3 device in
function 0 and pvrdma device in function 1 in the same PCI slot. Patch 12
moves needed code from vmxnet3 device to a new header file that can be used
by pvrdma code while Patches 13 to 15 use of it.
Along with this patch-set there is a parallel patch posted to libvirt to
apply the change needed there as part of the process implemented in patches
10 and 11. This change is needed so that guest would be able to configure
any IP to the Ethernet function of the pvrdma device.
Since we maintain external resources such as GIDs on host GID table we need
to do some cleanup before going down. This is the job of patches 19 and 20.
Patches 21 to 22 contain a fixes for bugs detected during the work on
processing VM shutdown notification.
Patch 23 fixes documentation.
Optional second review is welcome for:
 qapi: Define new QMP message for pvrdma
v1 -> v2:
* Fix compilation issue detected when compiling for mingw.
* Address comment from Eric Blake re version of QEMU in json
* Fix example from QMP message in json file.
* Fix case where a VM tries to remove an invalid GID from GID table.
* rdmacm-mux: Cleanup entries in socket-gids table when socket is
* Cleanup resources (GIDs, QPs etc) when VM goes down.
v2 -> v3:
* Address comment from Cornelia Huck for patch #19.
* Add some R-Bs from Marcel Apfelbaum and Dmitry Fleytman.
* Update docs/pvrdma.txt with the changes made by this patchset.
* Address comments from Shamir Rabinovitch for UMAD multiplexer.
v3 -> v4:
* Address some comments from Marcel.
* Add some R-Bs from Cornelia Huck and Shamir Rabinovitch.
v4 -> v5:
* Add one more patch that deletes code that performs unneeded (and
buggy) cleanup of resources during VM shutdown.
* Fix race condition that might happen when MAD response arrive before
ack for the send is received.
* Based qapi patch on Eric Blake's patch "qapi: Reduce Makefile
boilerplate" per Markus Armbruster's suggestion.
Please note that this will cause build error until Eric's patch will
* Add some debug log messages to rdmacm-mux.
v5 -> v6
* Add some R-Bs from Marcel.
* Set hop_limit to 0xFF in mad_send.
* Accept comment from Marcel re clearing response in execute_command.
* Change version for QMP message per Eric Blake comment.
* Add some notes to docs/pvrdma.txt as suggested by Marcel.
* in rdmacm-mux, do not default to rxe0.
v6 -> v7:
* Fix formating (checkpatch) in patch #17.
* Undo wrong setting done in patch #17 (found after testing with
* Add Marcel's r-b for patches #11 and #17.
v7 -> v8:
* Accept Eric's comments for patch 10 and 11.
v8 -> v9:
* Resolve conflict caused as a result of change made to QMP shutdown
message in commit ecd7a0d5bbf ("qmp: Add reason to SHUTDOWN and RESET
* s/---/---- in patch #1
Yuval Shaia (23):
contrib/rdmacm-mux: Add implementation of RDMA User MAD multiplexer
hw/rdma: Add ability to force notification without re-arm
hw/rdma: Return qpn 1 if ibqp is NULL
hw/rdma: Abort send-op if fail to create addr handler
hw/rdma: Add support for MAD packets
hw/pvrdma: Make function reset_device return void
hw/pvrdma: Make default pkey 0xFFFF
hw/pvrdma: Set the correct opcode for recv completion
hw/pvrdma: Set the correct opcode for send completion
qapi: Define new QMP message for pvrdma
hw/pvrdma: Add support to allow guest to configure GID table
vmxnet3: Move some definitions to header file
hw/pvrdma: Make sure PCI function 0 is vmxnet3
hw/rdma: Initialize node_guid from vmxnet3 mac address
hw/pvrdma: Make device state depend on Ethernet function state
hw/pvrdma: Fill all CQE fields
hw/pvrdma: Fill error code in command's response
hw/rdma: Remove unneeded code that handles more that one port
vl: Introduce shutdown_notifiers
hw/pvrdma: Clean device's resource when system is shutdown
hw/rdma: Do not use bitmap_zero_extend to free bitmap
hw/rdma: Do not call rdma_backend_del_gid on an empty gid
docs: Update pvrdma device documentation
MAINTAINERS | 2 +
Makefile | 3 +
Makefile.objs | 4 +-
contrib/rdmacm-mux/Makefile.objs | 4 +
contrib/rdmacm-mux/main.c | 798 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
contrib/rdmacm-mux/rdmacm-mux.h | 61 +++
docs/pvrdma.txt | 126 ++++-
hw/net/vmxnet3.c | 116 +----
hw/net/vmxnet3_defs.h | 133 ++++++
hw/rdma/rdma_backend.c | 515 +++++++++++++++++---
hw/rdma/rdma_backend.h | 28 +-
hw/rdma/rdma_backend_defs.h | 19 +-
hw/rdma/rdma_rm.c | 120 ++++-
hw/rdma/rdma_rm.h | 17 +-
hw/rdma/rdma_rm_defs.h | 21 +-
hw/rdma/rdma_utils.h | 25 +
hw/rdma/vmw/pvrdma.h | 10 +-
hw/rdma/vmw/pvrdma_cmd.c | 225 ++++-----
hw/rdma/vmw/pvrdma_main.c | 61 ++-
hw/rdma/vmw/pvrdma_qp_ops.c | 62 ++-
include/sysemu/sysemu.h | 1 +
qapi/qapi-schema.json | 1 +
qapi/rdma.json | 38 ++
vl.c | 15 +-
24 files changed, 2022 insertions(+), 383 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 contrib/rdmacm-mux/Makefile.objs
create mode 100644 contrib/rdmacm-mux/main.c
create mode 100644 contrib/rdmacm-mux/rdmacm-mux.h
create mode 100644 hw/net/vmxnet3_defs.h
create mode 100644 qapi/rdma.json
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 00/23] Add support for RDMA MAD,
Yuval Shaia <=
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 01/23] contrib/rdmacm-mux: Add implementation of RDMA User MAD multiplexer, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 03/23] hw/rdma: Return qpn 1 if ibqp is NULL, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 02/23] hw/rdma: Add ability to force notification without re-arm, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 06/23] hw/pvrdma: Make function reset_device return void, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 04/23] hw/rdma: Abort send-op if fail to create addr handler, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 08/23] hw/pvrdma: Set the correct opcode for recv completion, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 07/23] hw/pvrdma: Make default pkey 0xFFFF, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 09/23] hw/pvrdma: Set the correct opcode for send completion, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 05/23] hw/rdma: Add support for MAD packets, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21
- [Qemu-devel] [PATCH v9 10/23] qapi: Define new QMP message for pvrdma, Yuval Shaia, 2018/12/21