qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] test-filter-mirror hangs

From: Jason Wang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] test-filter-mirror hangs
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 12:01:53 +0800

On 2019/1/24 上午3:53, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* Jason Wang (address@hidden) wrote:
On 2019/1/22 上午2:56, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 09:46, Jason Wang<address@hidden>  wrote:
On 2019/1/15 上午12:33, Zhang Chen wrote:
On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:15 AM Dr. David Alan Gilbert
<address@hidden  <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

      * Peter Maydell (address@hidden
      <mailto:address@hidden>) wrote:
      > Recently I've noticed that test-filter-mirror has been hanging
      > intermittently, typically when run on some other TCG architecture.
      > In the instance I've just looked at, this was with s390x guest on
      > x86-64 host, though I've also seen it on other host archs and
      > perhaps with other guests.

      Watch out to see if you really do see it for other guests;
      it carefully avoids using virtio-net to avoid vhost; but on s390x it
      uses virtio-net-ccw - could that hit the vhost it was trying to avoid?

      > Below is a backtrace, though it seems to be pretty unhelpful.
      > Anybody got any theories ? Does the mirror test rely on dirty
      > memory bitmaps like the migration test (which also hangs
      > occasionally with TCG due to some bug I'm sure we've investigated
      > in the past) ?

      I don't think it relies on the CPU at all.
   I have no idea about this currently, but Jason and I designed the
test case.
Add Jason: Have any comments about this ?
I can't reproduce this locally with s390x-softmmu. It looks to me the
test should be independent to any kinds of emulation. It should pass
when mainloop work.
I've just seen a hang with ppc64 guest on s390x host, so it is
indeed not specific to s390x guest (and so not specific to
virtio-net either, since the ppc64 guest setup uses e1000).

thanks
-- PMM
Finally reproduced locally after hundreds (sometimes thousands) times of
running.

Bisection points to OOB monitor[1].

It looks to me after OOB is used unconditionally we lose a barrier to make
sure socket is connected before sending packets in test-filter-mirror.c. Is
there any other similar and simple thing that we could do to kick the
mainloop?
Do you mean the:

     /* send a qmp command to guarantee that 'connected' is setting to true. */
     qmp_discard_response(qts, "{ 'execute' : 'query-status'}");

Yes.

why was that ever sufficient to know the socket was ready?

It was suggested by Fam, I don't remember the details. Can we make sure all pending events has been processed (UNIX socket was set to connected) after query-status is returned with an non OOB monitor?

Thanks

Dave