qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Configuring pflash devices for OVMF firmware

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Configuring pflash devices for OVMF firmware
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 13:12:29 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> On 31/01/19 10:41, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Yes, though I would call it pflash0 and pflash1.
>>
>> Digression... should we put traditional BIOS in flash as well?  Only for
>> new machine types, obviously.
>
> The blocker was that very old KVM didn't support ROMD memory regions.
> Now on one hand we don't support those old kernel versions anymore; on
> the other hand we have HAX and WHPX that do not support ROMD at all.

This is all greek to me.  I take it there's something wrong with these
accelerators that makes (read-only?) flash memory not work, even though
the read-only mapping we now create for traditional BIOS works.  Weird,
but I'm of course willing to take your word for it.

I guess it's fixable, but nobody has stepped up to fix it.

Aside: accepting incomplete accelerators, then letting their
incompleteness hold back things doesn't strike me as sound policy.

Do we reject these accelerators when the user asks for firmware in
flash?  Or do we let the guest run into some more or less obscure
failure?