qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about hardware cursor in VGA

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about hardware cursor in VGA
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 01:36:49 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
I still have the unfinished version using the callbacks which might work with force_shadow like for cirrus but I'd need to finish and clean that up. Now that we have both implemented probably will allow switching between them but may not be able to do it before the freeze so don't wait for that. (The define_cursor way is enough for testing at the moment and rewriting it to use different callback could be considered bugfix or added in next devel cycle as well.)

I've sent a v6 now (of just the ati-vga patch, the other patch in the series is unchanged) with this. Defaults to define_cursor but cursor rendering via callbacks can be enabled with guest_hwcursor=true property. The cursor seems to be less jumpy with it but probably slower. I'm still not sure why it jumps with define_cursor but I think that may be a problem outside of this device.

I've also attempted to implement DDC for EDID but that's not ready yet and it will be a separate series because I'll likely need some changes to i2c as well to be able to use bitbang_i2c in this device model. (Probably we should merge contents of hw/bitbang_i2c.h in include/hw/i2c.h where the structure definition had to be moved already or move this header to include to be able to use it outside of hw/i2c. Currently I just #include "../i2c/bitbang_i2c.h" from hw/display/ati.c but I think that's not acceptable.)

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan