qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Flatview rendering scalability issue

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Flatview rendering scalability issue
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 12:42:07 +0100

On 12/03/19 04:23, Peter Xu wrote:

>>> I'm seeing 9 FVs with 1 PCI, and 119 with 100 PCIs.
>>
>> With
>>
>> $ eval qemu-system-x86_64 -M q35 \
>>     -device\ e1000,id=n{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8}{1,2,3}
>>
>> I only see 4 flat views ("system", "io", "memory", "(none)").
>>
>> Probably you are using intel-iommu?  Peter, it should be possible to
>> reorganize the VT-d memory regions like this:
>>
>>     intel_iommu_ir (MMIO, not added to any container)
>>
>>     vtd_root_dmar (container)
>>       intel_iommu_dmar (IOMMU), priority 0
>>       alias to intel_iommu_ir, priority 1
>>
>>     vtd_root_nodmar
>>       alias to get_system_memory(), priority 0
>>       alias to intel_iommu_ir, priority 1
>>
>>     vtd_root_0 memory region (container)
>>         vtd_root_dmar             # only one of these is enabled
>>         vtd_root_nodmar
>>
>> where the vtd_root_dmar and vtd_root_nodmar memory regions are created
>> in vtd_init once and for all.  Because all vtd_root_* memory regions
>> have only one child, memory.c will recognize that they represent the
>> same memory, and create at most two FlatViews (one for vtd_root_dmar,
>> one for vtd_root_nodmar).
>
> Yes this sounds good.  The only thing I'm still uncertain is about the
> IOMMU notifiers, which should be per-device (for real).

You're right.  However, the DMAR FlatView only has three sections so I
suspect it's not a big deal if we keep it per-device.  You'd still have
O(n) flatviews when the IOMMU is present and DMAR is enabled, but they
would have a constant number of sections so the cost overall is still
O(n) and not O(n^2).  If the IOMMU is present but DMAR is disabled, all
VT-d address spaces would still share the same FlatView vtd_root_nodmar,
and that is where the performance loss happens.

The final scheme would be same as above with vtd_root_dmar replaced by
vtd_root_dmar_%d.

Paolo