qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-4.1 00/25] Many style fixes for target/ppc

From: David Gibson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC for-4.1 00/25] Many style fixes for target/ppc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:43:15 +1100

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 07:55:57AM +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> David Gibson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > target/ppc has a lot of old code that doesn't stick to the modern
> > style guidelines.  That means we keep getting checkpatch warnings from
> > code motions in there, or from people copying the local style rather
> > than the global style.
> >
> > I'm sick of it, so here's a big series to fix many of the style
> > problems in target/ppc.
> >
> > It doesn't cover every checkpatch warning: outright false positives
> > are ignored of course, but there are also some things that it's not
> > obvious how to fix (often involving hairy nested macros).  Still, it's
> > a good start.
>
> I reply because you marked this RFC, which indicates some uncertainty.
> I'd like to encourage you.

Well, in this case RFC was more a flag that I don't consider these
patches ready to merge right away.  But sure, I'll take encouragement.

> The more bad examples exist in the code, the more time we'll waste on
> correcting them in patch submission.  You're sick of it.  You're right.
>
> We've demanded compliance to the QEMU coding style since 2009 (commit
> e68b98dc723).  If we had started to clean up existing code back then,
> we'd be long done by now, and style cleanup's annoying impact on
> git-blame would've long decayed to irrelevant levels.
>
> I expect the only regrets you'll have about this series is not to have
> done it earlier.

Well.. the potential for conflicts with outstanding patches worries me
a bit, but I definitely want to go ahead with this some time pretty
soon.

> Diffstat without the patches you included by mistake:

> This is actually a rather small fraction of the PPC code:
>
>     $ git-ls-files hw/ppc/ include/hw/ppc target/ppc/ | xargs wc | tail -n 1
>       90193  284261 3087364 total
>     $ git-ls-files hw/ppc/ include/hw/ppc target/ppc/ | wc -l
>     128

Right, I'm only looking at target/ppc in this series, since that's
where I've most encountered the problems.  The spapr code in hw/ppc is
mostly style compliant already.  The other machines are a mixed bag,
but I think they're mostly better than target/ppc at any rate.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson