qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtfs/9p duplicate inodes

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtfs/9p duplicate inodes
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 21:01:28 +0100

On Samstag, 30. März 2019 17:47:51 CET Greg Kurz wrote:
> Maybe have a look at this tentative to fix QID collisions:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-02/msg02283.html

Interesting! My idea would have been different, based on my presumption that
the amount of devices on a 9p exported tree should be very small, whereas the
amount of total files/dirs could be very high, I would have probably encoded as
many bits as possible for the inode part and would have consecutively
generated short device IDs as prefixes instead.

But I see that you already have a consensus to go into the direction suggested
by Antonios.

Question: so far I just had a look at that patch set, but haven't tried it
yet. Am I correct that the inode numbers (of the same file) would actually
change on guest side with every reboot (i.e. depending on the precise sequence
individual files would be accessed by guest after each reboot)?

Is there still anything substantial missing in that patch set?

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck