qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and vIOMMU support for emulated VF passthrough to

From: Elijah Shakkour
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU and vIOMMU support for emulated VF passthrough to nested (L2) VM
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 11:15:00 +0000

I didn't have DMA nor MMIO read/write working with my old command line.
But, when I removed all CPU flags and only provided "-cpu host", I see that
MMIO works.
Still, DMA read/write from emulated device doesn't work for VF. For example:
Driver provides me a buffer pointer through MMIO write, this address (pointer)
is GPA of L2, and when I try to call pci_dma_read() with this address I get:
"
Unassigned mem read 0000000000000000
"
I expected this address to be translated correctly in the vIOMMU.
Is there something that I'm missing here?

> > > If your device is completely emulated, IIUC you only simply need
> > > this on the latest QEMU:
> > >
> > >   -M q35 -device intel-iommu
> > >
> > > Split-irqchip and IR is on by default now, so you'll naturally gain
> > > x2apic if it's supported.  You can use x-aw-bits but only if you
> > > really need address space beyond 39 bits (which I suspect).  The
> > > rest parameters are optional too.

What do you mean by "completely emulated"?
I think that, for the sake of our talk, all I need is configuration space and
MMIO call backs, and MSIX, PCIe capability in both PF and VF and SRIOV
capability in PF.

> > > described to work?
> > >
> > > Before I look into details of the cmdline - I'd say MMIO in L2
> > > should have nothing to do with IOMMU...
> >
> > The addresses used in L2 is the GPAs of the L2, which would typically
> > be different from the L2 HPAs == L1 GPAs, so I think the IOMMU mappings
> must work.
> >
> > You would need something like 'intel_iommu=on iommu=pt' as boot
> parameters for L1.
>
> Yes, the IOMMU must work to do the assignment.  What I meant was that
> IOMMU should not be in the code path of MMIO accesses even for L2.
> IIUC that's the processor who reads/writes to the memory region and if it's a
> MMIO issue then it probably has little to do with IOMMU.
>
> Thanks,

As I said, MMIO works, but when I try to do DMA from VF device to GPA in L2 it
fails.
I expected this DMA read to work fine without any changes to be done.

> > > Are you sure the MMIO traps are
> > > setup correctly?  Can the VF do IO properly even without L2?

The answer is Yes for both questions.

> > I agree with Peter that just running the VF as another function in L1
> > would be good to test before trying to get L2 passthrough to work.
> >
> > I recommend you also verify that passing the PF through works as
> > expected, unless you already have done so.
> >
> > And do you see correct BAR address values in the lspci -vvv output in
> > the L2 instance?
> >
> > The SR/IOV logic is from QEMU's perspective just another device
> > instance apart from the differences in the BAR setup code, so if
> > passing through a non-virtual device works, and VF BAR addresses
> > appear right, I believe VFs should work as well.
> >
> > > Also I don't know whether there can be some tricks when you boot L2
> > > with vfio-pci when the device to assign is a VF.
> >
> > A lot has happened since I was actively using the SR/IOV patch set
> > myself so that might entirely be possible from my perspective.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Knut

As I said, my problem now is in translation of L2 GPA provided by driver, when
I call DMA read/write for this address from VF.
Any insights?