qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] curses.c: "We need a terminal output" ?

From: Joachim Durchholz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] curses.c: "We need a terminal output" ?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 20:04:08 +0200

Am 16.04.19 um 09:24 schrieb Gerd Hoffmann:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 03:10:09PM -0400, John Snow wrote:
<CC'ing curses maintainer>

On 4/13/19 5:02 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
Hi all,

what's the reasoning behind "We need a terminal output" in curses.c?

curses needs a terminal.

I commented out the check, and guess what: qemu and the OS in the VM would run just fine.

I don't really see a scenario where it's problematic if qemu emits
escape sequences to a pipe.

It's not about sending escape sequences.  A pipe simply doesn't support
all the tty ioctls (query terminal size, turn echo on/off, set all kinds
of terminal modes, ...).

Then I don't understand why it just ran fine.
I don't expect fullscreen output to work perfectly anyway; just enough so I can use qemu expect-style.

Also, is qemu -curses actually using all the terminal shenanigans?
I don't think so. If it is, it's not really needed it seems, things work fine.

I can see another scenario when this is problematic: Unit testing code
that directly writes to the console. E.g. testing BIOS code, or testing
operating systems when using the serial port is not an option.

seabios can work with the serial console just fine, try "qemu -nographic"

Well, can you tell me how convince any *BSD to talk to seabios intead of to the terminal...

Regards,
Jo