qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How do we do user input bitmap properties?

From: Andrew Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How do we do user input bitmap properties?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 11:46:34 +0200

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 11:28:41AM +0200, Andrew Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First some background:
>
> For the userspace side of AArch64 guest SVE support we need to
> expose KVM's allowed vector lengths bitmap to the user and allow
> the user to choose a subset of that bitmap. Since bitmaps are a
> bit awkward to work with then we'll likely want to expose it as
> an array of vector lengths instead. Also, assuming we want to
> expose the lengths as number-of-quadwords (quadword == 128 bits
> for AArch64 and vector lengths must be multiples of quadwords)
> rather than number-of-bits, then an example array (which will
> always be a sequence) might be
>
>  [ 8, 16, 32 ]
>
> The user may choose a subsequence, but only through truncation,
> i.e. [ 8, 32 ] is not valid, but [ 8, 16 ] is.
>
> Furthermore, different hosts may support different sequences
> which have the same maximum. For example, if the above sequence
> is for Host_A, then Host_B could be
>
>  [ 8, 16, 24, 32 ]

It doesn't really matter for this discussion, but I just realized
that I picked bogus numbers for these examples. 32 would be too
big. The largest supported is 16. I probably should have just used
the simple [ 1, 2, 4 ] and [ 1, 2, 3, 4 ] arrays, corresponding to
vector lengths (in bits) 128, 256, 512 and 128, 256, 384, 512.