qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] About pt-br keyboard layout

From: Lin Ma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] About pt-br keyboard layout
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 19:41:30 +0800

On 4/26/19 4:38 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 04:09:12PM +0800, Lin Ma wrote:
Hi all,

While I launch qemu with vnc + pt-br keyboard layout on my pc, If I type
shift + 6 in iPXE shell or grub shell via my usual 105-key keyboard,
shift + 6 would be mapped to "(apostrophe), But IIUC the correct character
should be ¨(diaeresis) in pt-br layout.

I'm wondering that is it the expected behavior? In other words, Does it make
sense if I want to type multi-character characters(say Ç or ¨) without guest
os's help?
No.  -k is for translating keysyms back into the correct scancodes,
because this is what the (virtual) keyboard passes to the guest.
So -k must match the *hosts* keyboard layout.
So, that means, If I launch qemu with -k pt-br on a host, I need to ensure the keyboard layout must be pt-br as well onthathypervisorhost,Then when I connected to this vnc server(qemu) throughvncviewer on mylaptop(us keyboard layout), I type shift + 6, I can get¨(diaeresis)
character, am I right?
Translating the scancodes into keysyms again is the job of the guest,
so that requires the keymapping you want to use being active in the
guest os.  Typically that would be the same you have on the host, but
that isn't required.  The guest can work with -- for example -- us
layout (like it is often the case in boot loaders).  Behavior should be
identical to physical hardware here.

HTH,
   Gerd