qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Update *BSD images with gnu-sed and bash

From: Kamil Rytarowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Update *BSD images with gnu-sed and bash
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 21:21:58 +0200

On 08.05.2019 10:07, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 08/05/2019 09.06, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>> On 06.05.2019 12:12, Thomas Huth wrote:
> [...]
>>>  Kamil,
>>>
>>> could you maybe help with the NetBSD image and the tests/vm/netbsd script?
>>>

>> Please be more specific what am I expected to do.
>
> We have some VMs (including NetBSD) available that are used during
> Peter's regression tests when somebody sends him a PULL requests. You
> can run them also locally with:
>
>  make BUILD_TARGET=check vm-build-netbsd
>
> From time to time, we've got to update these images, either to a newer
> version or to add some missing packages (like bash and gnu-sed in this
> case).

The process has been documented on wiki.

https://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/BSD#NetBSD

> However, many people (including me) don't have a clue about the various
> *BSD flavours, so also no clue about how to update these images easily.
> That's why I was hoping you could help here.
>
> But looks like Gerd is already working on a way to generate these images
> in a more automated way, so let's hope that he'll find some spare time
> to finish that work soon.

I recommend to upgrade to 8.0.

One extra step is to disable PaX MPROTECT (tcg violates W^X):

This should be addressed in qemu with an extension flag to
mmap(2)/mremap(2). I still have this on my TODO list.

sysctl -w security.pax.mprotect.enabled=1

NetBSD 9.0 will be released sooner than later and soon after that
NetBSD-7.x will be EOL.